User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should this be in Poetry Legends?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 55.56%
  • No

4 44.44%
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: A Wet Bird- Jon

Battle Record
    37-7
    Awards Legendary Member PC HOF OM HOF PS Season champ SS HW Champion 25+ Wins

A Wet Bird- Jon

A Wet Bird by Jonathon

Well, I was looking over the other nomination piece of Jon's and whilst reading it came across Spanja's comment about this particular poem. Upon reading it I was pleasantly surprised at the connection it managed to create and the raw natural tone it had to it. I personally believe this poem overshadowed his other one and was far better in grasping and maintaining my attention.

Furthermore, whilst I enjoyed it I'm sure there will be others who may not as much or at all. However, enjoyment aside I thought it read well and is far better than many poems that are already in the Poetry Legends. Please take that into consideration when voting. Thanks.
    Last edited by P. Mortuus; July 14th, 2011 at 02:18 AM

Battle Record
    26-9
    Awards PS Champion/IE Champion PC HOF PS HOF PS Season champ OM HOF Legendary PC

Re: A Wet Bird- Jon

This is a hard piece to figure. It's either brilliant, fresh, and intentionally classical or it's just not impressive with simplistic images, but well thought out language.
    This is the poem that shows subjectivism... I still can't figure out if I think it's brilliant. We didn't let it into HoF in PS, but I read it again and I think it was overlooked.

I dunno, this is a hard poem to figure.
    Last edited by Spoken Deity; July 18th, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Soule

Honestly, where the fuck did this piece come from lol. completely flew underneath my radar. cant say a whole lot since baron and spoken badically summed up the real reasons why this particular poem belongs in legends. and much better than the other nomination. keep it up man. vote in.

SirVent
    Battle Record
    13-2
    Awards PS Champion/IE Champion Haiku Champion OM HOF PC HOF SOTW

A Wet Bird- Jon

Yeah, this was imo better than photographic memory, I feel everyone already hit it right on the head. Definitely got my interest within the first few lines. And honestly this is heaps better than some of the things in poetry legends. Some will love it, some won't. Easily his best piece and it definitely deserves to be in legends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the theory of cause and effect is flawed,
    we expect the outcome to mirror the struggle, that's wrong.

Battle Record
    7-0
    Awards Haiku Season Champion PC HOF

Eh, I was uncertain of whether this should even be in the PS hof (it didn't make it), and maybe in that capacity I'd reconsider, however i just wouldn't feel comfortable giving this a legends nod. No hate to Jon, it's a nice piece and he's been a one man activity machine as of late, which we all appreciate, still i have trouble seeing this in a legendary light. Also I know the relevance of comparing current noms to pieces that didn't make it is debatable but I honestly feel like there have been better pieces that didn't make it...again it's debatable, that sort of situation is always in the back of my mind though when i read these things.

v/ no.

Battle Record
    1-3
    Awards Haiku Season Champion

It's nice and pretty poem - better than many pieces in already (no surprise) - but there are far more deserving pieces. Even on it's own, I wouldn't read it and think it 'legendary'. Vote no.

The problem with a lot of nominations is that it's hard to gauge how a particular piece stands in relation to others already in legends. The best thing is to see if it is worthy of HOF. From there, see how it compares to other poems in the HOF.
    Last edited by spokenoh; July 14th, 2011 at 02:25 PM
    can I kick it?

Battle Record
    40-7
    Awards OM HOF Golden Glove Champion LLL HOF 25+ Wins

ok, so I'm back to vote. I'm a little torn, to be honest. on the one hand, it's not an overwhelming poem that screams "legendary!" to me. but I think it's brilliance is in how understated it is. the language itself was a synecdoche of sorts; just like the poem is a simple metaphor for human behavior, it's stated simply. It's the antithesis of what I think other legendary poems are. Plus, I think the choice of animals was great, since we tend to endow them with an innocence of sorts that really emphasizes the meaning here.

I vote yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Awards Haiku Season Champion

Everything that is in Legends already and everything that's been overlooked aside - taking this completely on its own, I don't think it qualifies as a "Legendary" piece. It's a good, solid piece but I've read it quite a few times, first in the forum, second when reviewing HOF noms, and several times since it has been posted here. I've yet to walk away from it feeling truly wowed by it and it has yet to leave a lasting impression on me. That's not to knock the piece by any means - it's a well-written piece - but it didn't strike me as something totally memorable. Gave it several tries but I still wasn't able to see the brilliance.

v/ no
    ArtificialIntelligence

TNL
    ps... abi punchlines are played

Battle Record
    16-5
    Awards PC HOF OM HOF

idk hmmmm im going to say based on the piece alone and not on why it didn't make it into hof the month it was posted, i loved this piece when it was written had a fresh and natural take to it and when i read it i just was overwhelmed with the metaphor that it overall presented me with, honestly jon has been destroying the poetry forum as of late and his writing has been out classing everyone else as a whole also, the poetry forum hasn't seen writing like this as much lately so honestly...................ima say YAY!
    AI