User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Problem recording(not the computer, the actual flow)

Problem recording(not the computer, the actual flow)

I have this huge problem when it comes to recording over a beat. I ride the beat too much. If the beat has like a slow type instrument or few notes, I will spit it slow. If its fast, I spit it fast. I don't know whats wrong. I tried to rap normally but in my head it sounds off beat. This has been driving me crazy! Any help?

Battle Record
    5-3

Re: Problem recording(not the computer, the actual flow)

learn a new rhyme scheme.

lol.

cuz i can spit it slow on a fast beat, or fast on a slow beat... its all about how you arrange your words, and place your inflections, and emphasis.

it comes with experience in writing songs.
    look at how ludacris changes his rhyme schemes, and emotions, and emphasis depending on what he's rapping on.

look at the ciara song "go" or whatever it was called, when he would repeat some words after themselves like 3 times for the sake of the beat, and he made it hot... then look at the track he got with jeezy "grew up a screw up"... he makes his emphasis go with the drums...

it's all about being creative as a writer, and understand that your voice is an instrument too.

create melodys with your words, that's basically what a dope rhyme scheme can do.
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    2-0

Lol, since we're talking about "non-computer" related problems. Here's mine.

I have a problem with confidence. Like for example, I would write a decent verse and record it and think it's going to come out hot. I play it back and after hearing myself spit, I just lose all confidence and give up. Even if it didn't sound all that bad, I would still think it was garbage compared to what I've heard from people my age.

For example, a few weeks ago I finished recording a song which I was planning on putting up. The song turned out pretty okay. Anyway, a few hours after I recorded the song, I was checking out RB and heard Philosopha's new song. After hearing it, it just shattered my confidence. I mean, this nigga is what? 18 years old. 3 years younger then me and sounds like he's been doing this forever. It made me feel as though you had to be blessed to rap, and it just came naturally. You either have it or you don't.

Is this true? If not, does anybody have any suggestions or ideas?
    Last edited by I Am..; February 7th, 2007 at 02:35 PM
    I got a buddy named drop dead Fred, He ain't really real, he my imaginary friend,
    My mama said that I shoulden't talk to him, Cause I look crazy when I start to fuck with him..

You've Earned a Custom Title!

Some of it, like everything else, comes naturally. Just like confidence comes naturally to alot of people. But you have to take alot into consideration when your having such high expectations. Such as, your recording enviroment. If your not spitting with 100% confidence, AND your recording on some low/mediocre quality shit, your never gonna be happy with it... However, just by your post (iAm) it tells me you don't have the mind frame of a rapper.. Because it's esential in being a rapper to have 100% confidence, strait up. Edit: My advice, really get your writings DOWN in your head before you get'm out on the mic. So good it's like your chillin in the car singing your favorite song. And bro... Get a different mentality toward rapping, do that shit for fun not to be the greatest ever. I'm not saying don't strive to get better, i'm just sayin.... If your not happy with what your doing than what's the point?
    Last edited by JayFro407; February 7th, 2007 at 09:52 PM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by I Am..
    Lol, since we're talking about "non-computer" related problems. Here's mine.

I have a problem with confidence. Like for example, I would write a decent verse and record it and think it's going to come out hot. I play it back and after hearing myself spit, I just lose all confidence and give up. Even if it didn't sound all that bad, I would still think it was garbage compared to what I've heard from people my age.

For example, a few weeks ago I finished recording a song which I was planning on putting up. The song turned out pretty okay. Anyway, a few hours after I recorded the song, I was checking out RB and heard Philosopha's new song. After hearing it, it just shattered my confidence. I mean, this nigga is what? 18 years old. 3 years younger then me and sounds like he's been doing this forever. It made me feel as though you had to be blessed to rap, and it just came naturally. You either have it or you don't.

Is this true? If not, does anybody have any suggestions or ideas?
    this used to happen to me man....u just gotta swallow it..and put the shit up anyway....if people knock it, oh well, try to come back twice strong....but overall, what does it really matter??? do YOU like it??? if so...keep it...dont trash it...also that negative feedback u may get, could drive you to sound how u wanna sound....
    me personally, i try not to create an opinion of myself or my work when it comes to music...thats a good way to think your less than you are, or become egotistical and think your more than you are...if i record something...im damn sure gonna mix it down and keep it and post it...regardless of the outcome....the worst that can happen is people aint gonna feel it...so u just come back with another some other time...feel me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    2-0

Word, man. Thanks for the advice, Loop and Jay.
    I got a buddy named drop dead Fred, He ain't really real, he my imaginary friend,
    My mama said that I shoulden't talk to him, Cause I look crazy when I start to fuck with him..

Battle Record
    37-1

Grow some balls, son. Pretty much.

New Writejist Song - Tito Ortiz

Battle Record
    2-0

Street status, you don't wana bleed, fagget.

I see you lookin.. stupid Brandon Heat's Avatar
    Awards 25+ Wins

have me ghost spit for you... niccas'll go crazy.
    AlieNation
    ..GrindHouse..

we see you Cock-A-Roaches looking...

Coming Soon

You've Earned a Custom Title! RiQue's Avatar

Learn the meter of the beat and then start adjusting your flow so you match w.e meter the beat is and its tempo will just come naturally once you scale out the beat.

Awards 25+ Wins

you just spoke russian to him.
    AlieNation
    ..GrindHouse..

Coming Soon

You've Earned a Custom Title! RiQue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Heat
    you just spoke russian to him.
    Oh damn, I'm sorry for that, but if he doesn't know the basic elements of music... Hamony, Rhythm, Beat, Dynamics, Tempo, Meter, Form... He shouldn't be trying to do anything with music. Its like trying to fly a plane before you know what a plane does.

Quote Originally Posted by RiQue
    Oh damn, I'm sorry for that, but if he doesn't know the basic elements of music... Hamony, Rhythm, Beat, Dynamics, Tempo, Meter, Form... He shouldn't be trying to do anything with music. Its like trying to fly a plane before you know what a plane does.
    bullshit.....that shits important when your making a beat.....when its time to spit...u just do it....the meter of a beat??? whats that??? last meter i looked at was only tellin me the db level of the sound...and dynamics??? how the hell can the dynamics of a beat make how u spit??? i dont get it...

Awards 25+ Wins

both statements are pretty much to the far side of the spectrum... you don't have to know what a meter is... you barely have to know what bar is... you don't need to know ANY OF THAT SHIT to rap b... you don't have to know harmony or dynamics or tempo or even rhythm... thats the reason so many kids want to be Jay Z or Fab...

I've heard you spit... atleast if that's you in the sig... if it is... you could be 10x's better... dog you let the beat work you... work the beat man... if you can't make your own rhythm and style you can't do shit... and you don't have to understand it to make it happen...
    AlieNation
    ..GrindHouse..

Coming Soon

You've Earned a Custom Title! #1 Syndicate's Avatar
    Battle Record
    0-1

practice that shit over and over again til you get it perfected...

then you record..